Today we are docked at The Dalles. Our shore excursion today was another Hop-on-Hop-Off with the first stop being the Maryhill Museum. This is a lovely, regional museum with both natural history and exhibits about the local indigenous people.
a huge wooly
mammoth (replica),
and a “town” dating from the early/mid 1800’s. Lots of artifacts were displayed in the stores.
There was also a large exhibit of drawings by Audubon. Although, instead of birds (for which he is famous) these were of North American Mammals. How very interesting.
From there the bus stopped at the National Neon Sign Museum. The owner/founder started collecting neon signs at a young age and now they are into the second generation of neon aficionados. The museum is housed in the old Elks Lodge, a beautiful, old building that dates from 1910. It included pre-electricity signs, old electrical signs as well as neon.
The collection included information about the colors (based on the gas used – Neon or Argon) and how the tubes were made.
We then spent
some time walking around the old historic district of The Dalles with many preserved period buildings.
The second Courthouse of Wasco County was built in 1883. It has a large clock tower and now houses a brew pub.
Old St. Peter’s Church (built in 1898).
We also went in search of some of the numerous murals that can be found in this area. Some were almost a block long...extending from one end of a block long building to the other.
********************************************************
Video of Murals
********************************************************
The dock was close to the historic district, so we walked back to the boat. The American Empress from the river walk.
From the deck of the Empress we had some good views of Mt. Hood in the distance. St. Peter's in the foreground.
*************************************
More The Dalles
*************************************
No comments:
Post a Comment